Chicken Farro Soup (Very Few Ingredients)
November 24, 2020 • Mains, Recipes • healthy • No comments
Chicken soup is good for the soul- am I right?! This recipe brings me back to my childhood. My dad always made chicken noodle soup growing up (still does, actually) and this recipe is my take on it. If you don’t have farro, really any grain or pasta would work- like barley, a tiny-shaped pasta like stelline, or a legume-based pasta to make this recipe gluten-free. Also, if you don’t eat meat, feel free to leave out the chicken (and use veggie broth), this makes for a yummy veggie soup too! Topping your bowl with fresh Parmesan cheese is also a nice finishing touch.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 4 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 8.8 oz farro (I buy the pre-cooked and quick cook 10 Minute Farro from Trader Joe's)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- Green onion to garnish
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Season the chicken simply with salt, black pepper and garlic powder, then cook it however you prefer. I like to either bake it in the oven or cook it in a non-stick frying pan.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the veggies. Chop the onion, celery and carrots.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil for a few minutes on medium heat. Then add in the bay leaf, chopped onion, celery and carrots, cooking down until soft for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and water to the pot and increase heat to high to bring to a boil. Once boiling add in the bag of farro, then lower heat to medium heat, to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the seasonings, adjusting to taste.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred with fork and add to soup. I like to remove the bay leaf so I don't eat it by accident.
- Garnish with green onion and enjoy!
Leave a comment