Falafel (Less than 10 Ingredients & Vegan!)
January 9, 2019 • Appetizers, Mains • plant-based, vegan • No comments
Who else loves chickpeas? Chickpeas are the star of falafel, and mixed with other fresh ingredients including lots of parsley, these falafel are delicious. This falafel and my almond tzatziki make the perfect pair, so I highly suggest checking out the recipe for the tzatziki. Throw a couple falafel on top of some greens to make a filling salad, or eat them in a pita!
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
Yields: 10 falafel
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 15.5 oz can unsalted chickpeas
- 1 heaping tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the carrots, then finely dice the carrot, onion and green pepper. Place in a bowl.
- Rinse and drain can of chickpeas, then blend the chickpeas with tahini for a minute or two in a food processor until the chickpeas become partially mashed and the mixture becomes sticky. Remove mixture from food processor and add to the bowl with the diced veggies.
- Mix the ingredients in the bowl and then add finely chopped parsley, lemon juice, coconut aminos, and a dash of the following spices (adjust to taste)- garlic powder, ground cumin, black pepper, cinnamon and turmeric. Combine ingredients and then add up to 1/2 cup almond flour depending on how wet the mixture is.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a silicon mat on a baking sheet) and then form about 10 falafel and place on baking sheet. Spray or brush each falafel with a bit of olive oil and bake at 400 degrees for ~12 mins. Then remove, flip the falafel and spray this new side with olive oil, return to oven and bake an additional ~8 min.
Leave a comment