Healthy Lettuce Wraps To-Go (Simple & Easy)
August 21, 2019 • Mains • gluten-free, grain-free, healthy, paleo • No comments
Looking for a healthy, simple snack to prepare to bring on-the-go? This is the perfect recipe for you! These lettuce wraps are so versatile, you can fill them with any variation of veggies, proteins and condiments! Examples of fillings include bell pepper, carrots, avocado, tomato, cucumber, deli meats, hummus, chicken salad and tuna salad. Pack these lettuce wraps to bring to work, school, on picnics, to the beach, and even for your kids’ lunch!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- Romaine hearts
- Bell peppers
- Dijon mustard
- Hot sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Black pepper
- Turkey deli slices
- Cooked chicken
- Tuna (I like the brand Wild Planet)
- Tofu or tempeh (great vegetarian option!)
- This recipe is a kind of "choose your own adventure" type. Basically, choose your favorite veggies, proteins and condiments to use for these lettuce wraps. Of course, whatever you choose, make sure to pick up romaine hearts!
- Prepare your veggies! Cut your veggies into thin strips, like how the bell pepper and cucumber look in the photo!
- Prepare your proteins! Cook up some chicken, or make some tofu if you'd like a vegetarian option. Check out my tempeh strips recipe for a great option here.
- Have your condiments ready and start building your lettuce wraps! Be careful not to overfill them- for example, I use 1/2 a slice of deli meat per lettuce wrap. Wash your romaine hearts, and place the fillings only on one half of the lettuce leaf. Once you layer in some filling, fold over the romaine heart and tie to secure it. Some combinations I really like are: 1.) cucumber, hummus and turkey deli meat, 2.) bell pepper, turkey deli meat and dijon mustard, 3.) avocado, cucumber, and hummus. I also like using chicken salad - check out my healthy chicken salad recipe to prepare that for these lettuce wraps! You could similarly follow my healthy chicken salad recipe but swap out the chicken for tuna, if you'd like to make a healthy tuna salad.
Leave a comment