Simple Cabbage Soup (Only 8 Ingredients!)
This recipe was influenced by my Portuguese heritage, with cabbage being the star ingredient. I love cooked cabbage, especially in soup! I kept this recipe super simple with minimal ingredients but it would also be delicious with an added grain or pasta such as barely, orzo, or elbow macaroni! I also often cook with just water when sauteing vegetables since I have a non-stick pan, but feel free to use oil if you want.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 (16 oz can) northern white beans
- 1 (16 oz can) chickpeas
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped savoy cabbage
- Prepare the vegetables: peel and chop carrots, chop onion and celery.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup water for about a minute then add in the carrots, onion, celery, minced garlic, paprika, and black pepper. Cook down stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until veggies start to become tender. Add splashes of water as needed (if veggies start to stick).
- Rinse and drain the beans and chickpeas, and add to the pot with 4 cups veggie broth and 4 cups water. Use a cup less of water if you want a thicker soup. Increase to high heat until soup starts to boil slightly then lower heat to medium-high and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Remove pot from the burner and use immersion blender (or transfer soup to blender) to puree the soup to the consistency you'd like. Return pot back to burner with the pureed soup and simmer another 3 minutes.
- Chop the cabbage and add to soup, cooking on medium-low heat an additional 15-20 minutes until cabbage is tender. Add salt and additional seasonings to taste. I personally wait to add any salt until I serve my own bowl to avoid adding excessive sodium to the dish! Make sure you let this cool a few minutes before eating!