One-Pan Mexican Style Chicken and Rice (Simple and Healthy!)
This recipe is so easy to make and the clean up is great because it’s all cooked in one pan! Make this for your family or add this to your weekly meal prep because it’s perfect as leftovers. The recipe calls for taco seasoning, but if you don’t have any, just make your own by combining chipotle powder, chili powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Also, feel free to top with anything you’d like but I suggest avocado slices and sour cream (or plain unsweetened Greek yogurt)!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 16 oz salsa (1 jar)
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thigh
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (I use Primal Palate but you can use any brand)
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Plain unsweetened Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Prepare veggies- chop the bell peppers and onion, and mince the garlic.
- In a 13X9 inch pan (I use a glass Pyrex dish) combine the chopped onion, bell pepper, minced garlic, lime juice, salsa and chicken. Then sprinkle the taco seasoning over everything.
- Scatter the brown rice over everything and mix.
- On the stove top in a pot boil water. Once boiling, carefully measure out 1.5 cups and pour over mixture in the dish. Then cover with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until rice is cooked through.
- Remove dish from oven, remove the foil and mix in the shredded cheese and cilantro, then cover back up with foil and let sit on counter for 10 minutes.
- Top with plain unsweetened Greek yogurt or sour cream, avocado slices or guacamole and lime wedges. Garnish with cilantro.