Veggie Barley Stew (Only 8 Ingredients!)
November 14, 2018 • Mains • plant-based, vegan • No comments
Looking for a simple, satisfying, and warming recipe for these Fall New England days? This stew comes together so quickly, with few ingredients, and is filling and delicious! It will warm you up on these cooler days, and the best part is you probably already have most of these ingredients on hand.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small chopped organic zucchini
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth
- Sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Black pepper
- 1 cup pre-cooked 10-minute cook barley (found this at Trader Joe's)
- Finely chop the yellow onion, carrots, celery, and zucchini.
- In a large pot heat olive oil for 2 minutes on medium heat then add the onion, minced garlic and paprika. Sauté for about 5 minutes until onions start to be translucent and the paprika is fragrant.
- Add the carrot and celery to the pot, mix ingredients and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini and sauté another 3 minutes or so, then add in 4 cups of vegetable broth and bring the stew to a boil. If you want your stew to have a more liquid consistency, in addition to the vegetable broth, add 2 or 3 cups of water.
- Once it starts boiling add 1 cup barley and lower heat to medium. Boil the stew for 10 minutes. Then add salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
Leave a comment