Chickpea Pancakes with Strawberry Compote (Less than 15 minutes!)
Looking for a healthy, gluten-free pancake recipe? This one is for you! The best part is it comes together in less than 15 minutes! Chickpea flour is the perfect substitute for traditional all purpose flour in this recipe, as it is made of one ingredient- chickpeas, which makes it higher in protein, iron and fiber compared to all purpose flour.
The strawberry compote makes for a delicious topping but feel free to switch out the strawberries for blueberries or raspberries if you aren’t a strawberry fan! Nut butters and maple syrup also make for great pancake toppings. If you’d really like to take your stack to the next level, I highly recommend topping with my whipped coconut cream.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 3 pancakes (~4.5 inches in diameter)
- 1/2 cup sprouted garbanzo flour (chickpea flour)
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 4 large frozen or fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients: salt, baking powder, chickpea flour and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: water, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- Thoroughly combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until batter is smooth.
- Use a little coconut oil on the pan, and spoonful the batter onto the pan to make 3 pancakes. Cook each pancake for 2-4 minutes until the pancake starts to bubble and edges start to dry, then flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Once the pancakes are done, plate them, and turn off the burner, keeping the pan on the stove. Add your chopped strawberries to the pan with the lemon juice and cook down for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the strawberries disintegrate a bit and the sauce thickens. Pour over pancakes and serve right away. Enjoy!