Smokey Black Bean Burgs (Vegan and Only 7 Ingredients!)
How do you make food taste smokey, without grilling? The answer: liquid smoke. You can make this recipe without liquid smoke- I have and believe me it’s still delicious, but I have to say adding in this magical ingredient is totally worth it. My favorite veggie burger has got to be black bean burgers, so naturally I’ve whipped up quite a few black bean burgers in my day. This variation is one of my favorites! I have it shown here in a lettuce cup dressed with vegan cheese, ketchup, mustard, tomato slices and some sprouts, but it’s also delicious on a burger bun and with or without the cheese.
Here’s what the black bean burger batter should look like:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 burgers
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup Almond flour
- 1 /2 tbsp Frank's red hot sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Annie’s vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- Preheat oven to 375. Make your flax egg by mixing 1 tbs ground flax meal with 3 tbs water in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, process the black beans and chopped green onion on low until well combined. Black beans should be mashed up but it’s okay to have some chunks of full beans.
- Place mixture in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except the almond flour. Once well combined add 1/4 cup almond flour. If the mixture is too wet add a bit more almond flour.
- Divide mixture evenly into four patties (they will be about 3 inches in diameter).
- Place burgers on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 8-10 min. Remove baking sheet from the oven, use a spatula to gently flip burgers (and reform edges if needed) then return tray to oven and bake an additional 10 min.