Dark Chocolate BBQ Jackfruit (My Vegan Take on BBQ Pulled Pork)
BBQ sauce makes me think of summertime, which will be here before we know it in New England (I think, hopefully).. and this recipe is perfect for your summer cook-outs, picnics, etc.! This dish is my vegan take on BBQ pulled pork, or chicken, and tastes amazing in a bulky roll with my healthy cole slaw, in tacos, or with rice. This recipe includes a surprising ingredient- chocolate! Taza Chocolate is the best addition to this sauce, as it’s grittiness and flavor pair perfectly with the other ingredients to make this somewhat sweet and tangy BBQ sauce. You can find Taza Chocolate in Whole Foods and it’s also sold online, and if you live in MA, visit the factory in Somerville sometime! If you can’t find Taza Chocolate, use another brand of chocolate that is about 70% dark chocolate – if you are vegan make sure it is dairy-free (most dark chocolates are but check!).
This recipe also calls for ketchup, and while any ketchup works, my personal favorite is Primal Kitchen‘s unsweetened ketchup. It’s my favorite because there is no added sugar: the only ingredients in it are tomato concentrate, balsamic vinegar, salt, and spices. It does taste a bit more vinegary than traditional ketchups you’re probably used to, so if you use a “normal” ketchup for this recipe it may come out a bit sweeter. I buy Primal Kitchen’s products on Thrive Market, but you can also find some of their products in stores such as Wegman’s and Whole Foods.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup (I like Primal Kitchen organic unsweetened Ketchup)
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce (I like Annie’s organic vegan Worcestershire sauce)
- 1 tbs organic Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 1/2 tbs coconut palm sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 (or 4 squares) of a 2.5 oz Taza Deliciously Dark (70% dark) chocolate bar
- 20 oz can of green jackfruit
- Open the can of jackfruit, drain it and rinse with water. Then shred/ pull apart the jackfruit chunks with your hands. Rinse it again and then strain all the water. Place jackfruit in paper towels and squeeze out the water. Set aside.
- Chop the onion, then heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat for a minute or two then add the chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté a few minutes until onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Lower heat then add in the chocolate and stir continuously until it melts. Then mix in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, chili powder, maple syrup, red wine vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, liquid smoke, black pepper, coconut palm sugar, and cinnamon.
- Continuously stir the sauce, cooking down for about 10 minutes. Once the sauce has thickened, remove it from the heat and add the jackfruit to the pan with the sauce and mix until well combined. Serve with rice, in tacos or as a sandwich- however you like!